Sunday, September 11, 2011

Wooden Shoes or Horseshoes?

Never did I think that I would ask myself, "Hmmm, I wonder if those are wooden shoes or horseshoes?"  We can hear them coming a mile away.  I'm slowly learning to distinguish between the sounds.  An easy way to decide is if there are any drunken songs attached to the sounds.  So far, I haven't noticed the horses singing after they've had schnapps.

Here's a little audio/video for your enjoyment.  You can't see anything, but you can hear them!  It's not hard for me to imagine Casper taking part in a celebration like this.  LOL!



BTW, I love that the people here hold onto their traditions.  They still wear wooden shoes when they plan on going out and drinking, having a celebration, etc., and they still speak plattdeutsch.  Yesterday, Matti told me that the people at the table next to ours at the cafe were speaking platt.  When someone greets you on the street here, they say "Moin" (platt for hello, good day, etc.).  They're obviously very proud of their heritage and have reason to be.

1 comment:

  1. Depending upon how much schnapps you've had, I imagine that at some point or other you think the horses are singing, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete