Sunday, June 9, 2013

Not in the Zone

What's wrong with me?  I'm stuck in a genealogy rut.  And I can't seem to get out of it.  I knew it was bad when I went to Salt Lake City for the 3rd time in one month and didn't darken the doorstep of the genealogy library even once.  I just couldn't get motivated.  And I know from experience that it's not worth the effort to walk over there if I'm not "in the zone."

Family History Library

I thought that helping a couple of friends of mine start down "Obsession Road" would jumpstart me. Usually that sort of thing gets me back on track, and I at least work a cemetery run into my schedule. Nope.  Not this time.

I've tried finding new things on Ancestry.comFamily Search, and Fold3.  But until the Germans release more documents, I think I'm at a dead end (pardon the pun).

I think the only thing that's going to get me out of this funk is the reopening of the Archives of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.  It's the keeper of all the documents I need to hopefully crack the case of my Bavarian Brand family.  And it's been closed for almost a year!  Since my Brand/Pistner family couldn't make it easy for me by having their children baptized at Old St. Mary's (married in 1845) where they're able to look up sacramental records for you, I have to wait to write to the Cincinnati archivist.  If you haven't already gathered this about me, I'm not a very patient person.

Fr. Gerry Geisen, where are you when I need you?  You were the Chancellor of the Covington diocese and the keeper of that diocese's archive's keys.  I would have loved to have begged you to call the Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati to let me in there to look through some microfilm.  And I've already worked it out in my mind how I would've tried to persuade you to do this favor for me by reminding you that I'm looking for your grandma's family's info.

OK, I admit it.  I've lost it.  But I can't help but think about those who could've helped me but are gone. So, since I don't have them, I have to wait in line for the reopening.  In the meantime, I'm going to try and drive up to Dayton for a cemetery run.  Who knows, maybe the tombstone for the sister of my great, great grandmother will have the name of the Bavarian town her family emigrated from.  Yeah, right.  Because the family has cooperated with me so beautifully up to this point.

Dayton's Calvary Cemetery

Archives of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati

"The Archives of the Chancery is currently closed due to inventory and relocation.
The archives office collects, preserves and administers church records of permanent historical value.  The archives’ services are available to all archdiocesan administrative offices, pastors and parishes and to qualified researchers doing scholarly research."

1 comment: